Web Content Writing Resources
Writing for the web is different than any other type of writing. Creating good website content takes writing skill, SEO knowledge and understanding of how people surf the web.
There are so many websites out there that your web content must be clear, concise, and easy to understand. Otherwise people will move on quickly.
A few tips for web content writing:
- Short sentences and paragraphs
- People scan website content rather than read every word on a page. Make this easier to do by using short sentences and paragraphs.
- Use lists
- This adds to the point above. Lists are very useful in breaking web page content into easily digestible bites.
- Add keywords to your text
- Most people find web pages through search engines. Adding keywords to your text makes it easier to find your page.
- Use headings
- Heading tags can break up information and make it easier for people to find what they’re looking for.
- Use bold and italics to make certain words stand out and draw attention to important text.
Here are a few resources that will help you when writing for the web:
- Web Style Guide
- Daily Writing Tips
- The Chicago Manual of Style Online
- Website Tips: Writing for Web Sites
I use many of those resources on a regular basis. Remember, web content writing needs to take many different users in mind. Some users are looking for very specific information. Others want a question answered. Others still want a general overview of a topic. When writing for the web, think about the readers you’re targeting and keep them in mind while you write.
If you have any questions or to request a free website review, please contact me